What they wanted to do was take all the best elements of the 3 original games and put them together in a game coded from scratch. It's not a ROM hack! Here's a list of features the developer put together:
- Animation timing, animation positioning, control response, X/Y/Z positions and physical movement for all characters are accurate to the original games.
- 64 modules of AI per enemy to represent walking and reactions.
- Collisions and damages based on the original games.
- The same score system algorythm that is used in SOR2.
- Grabs and vaults as in the original games.
- Autosave savestates that allow you to continue the game from the same point, exit windows, alt+x, etc.
- Prediction of resources, to speed loading times.
- All functions of all the original games in the series are emulated:
- Over 30 configurable options in the menu
- Star and Special Meter sytems
- 6-button controller actions
- Different types of weapons, and Special Weapon attacks
- Police specials
- And much more
All the characters are playable even Adam from the first game, and his moveset has been updated so he can keep up with the others. An amazing amount of work went into this game, as the game is so well put together that I can safely say the Streets of Rage experience you are going to find in SorR to be very authentic and true to what made the originals so great! Even the music has been updated/remixed for improved quality. The game boats 19 playable characters, 64 different enemies, an allied CPU mode for single players and a ton of other crap that would take forever to talk about!
Seriously, I'll just stop talking about this and let you check the game out for yourself, you can download the free game here! I recommend it! And just because I feel like sharing it, here's a clip of game composer Yuzo Koshiro playing Streets of Rage music in a club: