Thursday, May 19, 2011

Terraria - Dig holes! Fight Zombies! DIG MORE HOLES! Fight Skeletons! DIG YOURSELF TO HELL!


You want to know the game I've been playing these past couple of days? Well this is it. I got the game as a gift, and at first I was skeptical because the sprites looked like they were ripped straight out of Final Fantasy and I never really played Minecraft outside of the free demo on the website. But this game. This freaking game. It's way more fun than it has any right to be.

This is the world I live in.  And it's only a SMALL world.  I shudder to see a MEDIUM or LARGE one.
Terraria is often described to be something of a 2D side-scrolling Minecraft. I'm not entirely sure how true that is, because again, I never played Minecraft. Instead of building, the game heavily emphasizes combat and exploration. Sure you can build houses and stuff, but the real star of the game is the digging and finding treasure!

Hiding from a Zombie in my house
Me and a couple of friends started on a randomly generated world and from there we were in charge of our own destiny. Started off with a small house just to protect us from the nightly zombie attack, and then we started digging into the earth looking for priceless jewels and ores to craft into awesome weapons to fight more zombies with! As mentioned before, we played this game for 10 hours straight on the first day and we accomplished ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but we sure as hell had fun doing it!

This game isn't the best looking, but the sprites grow on you after a while, it feels like you're playing Zelda II: Adventures of Link coupled with Metroid-like exploration with the digging excitement of Dig Dug! The game is pretty much $10 on Steam, it's up to you if you think it's worth it or not. I'd think it's worth at least 4 times that amount, but I'm not going to try to sway you. Check it out if you want, maybe we can trade sometime. Here's the trailer:


Later.

14 comments:

  1. I've been hearing so much about this game. It is only a matter of time before I get hooked. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. you would really like Litte Big Planet, and LBP2

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look like a 16 bit version of minecraft. Oh, so many hours wasted on minecraft

    ReplyDelete
  4. AP0976 took exactly what I was gonna say... an old school Minecraft lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you should DEFINITELY try minecraft if you like this mediocre clone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this game looks great, i just saw someone on the train play this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. just got it today. i just need to res quick my laptop, and voila.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa. I. Love. This. Blog! I can say from having played Minecraft quite a bit that it does look and feel very similar. I'm going to be checking back here for more fun little games to distract me from Starcraft! Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. The look of this game kinda put me off, like that stupidly huge arc your arm does when you swing a weapon or something.

    ReplyDelete